Praliné, Praline?

October 29 2020 – Alex Zigoumis

Gianduja, Giamanda, and Giantina

Gianduja, Giamanda, and Giantina

In Belgium, the term praline generally refers to a filled/enrobed chocolate. Add an accent (praliné) and now we are talking about a milk chocolate hazelnut paste which is a traditional European filling. On our side of the lake, the term praline (sans accent) denotes a completely unrelated confection which is typically made with sugar, pecans, and dairy.


In our store, we call our chocolates "chocolates" and use the term "praliné" (notice the accent!) to denote the chocolates that contain the hazelnut paste filling referred to above. (On a side note, a few of our customers mistakenly call our chocolates "truffles". Generally, a truffle is made with fresh cream and chocolate and then rolled in cocoa. We stick by this definition and actually carry some fantastic truffles which are described in our "Melt-in-your-mouth Ganache post").


Hopefully that all makes sense because our praliné filled chocolates are to die for and represent a major part of our range! We prepare our assortments making sure that roughly half of your box will contain these delectable pieces (in multi-layered boxes, it will be the bottom half, under the soft fillings, because they are heavier). Our praliné chocolates differ not so much in flavor (a couple have hints of coffee and caramel) but in size, texture (some have a crunch), and coating (milk/dark/white). To give you an idea of the look and texture of our praliné filling, have a look at the above picture. This popular piece, Gianduja, is PURE praliné without the additional coating of chocolate. It's basically the filling itself wrapped in foil.


If you haven't tried one yet, what are you waiting for? :)




Tagged: Praliné